Wednesday, August 20, 2008

For every beginning there is an end.

It's the bond between mom and baby that only they can share. Breastfeeding. Truly the most amazing and tiring experience of your life. If you think pregnancy is a haul then try breastfeeding.... a toddler! It was a commitment I made from the beginning of Audrey's life and while there were some struggles and defeats at the start I think it stands as one of my proudest moments as a mother. I made milk and sustained a life. How cool is it to say that? Talk about a super power.

When Audrey was a newborn I knew it was the best start I could give her. She grew right on track and it was so encouraging to hear at each weight check that Audrey was doing great. Bowing. Thank you, thank you! Just another mommy's cafe hard at work. Although, we don't give ourselves that much credit. I think we often forget all that we are providing to our babies. The wonderful antibodies, lots of delicious calories and fat and the most perfect food for baby. Audrey was one lucky baby and I was one lucky mama--no true illnesses to this date. (Now quickly knocking on wood!)

So, we approached that one year mark and I was slowly weaning Audrey down to just two nursing sessions per day. I was ready for some freedom and Audrey was learning all about the wonderful milk made by moo cow's that she could now enjoy. Then there was a night out with the girls one evening and after that we were just down to one session in the morning. I think this was my favorite time though. Cuddle time in the chair with Nutter while she woke up, looked at me, stared lovingly at me, then hit me in the chest, pulled on my pj's, tugged on my necklace and tried to grab my hair. Then with a flash she'd be off and running around her room calling for the dogs, hauling out books and yelling for Dada. At some point you just know and I knew that it was our time to be done. So with one last sweet morning together came our end. It was bittersweet. And just as I was about to be teary eyed over the whole ending she looks up at me and says, "Mama!"

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Good job!

Vanessa said...

You did an amazing job!! Congrats on making it this far!

Rach said...

Great job, Mama. You are right... it's definitely something to be proud of.

Kami/The Elegant Elle said...

Great job Les, you should be so proud of yourself!