Wednesday, August 20, 2008

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

How can Audrey know and understand this word already? The answer to everything lately is "no!"

Do you want to eat?
"No!"

Do you want to play?
"No!"

Do you want to take a bath?
"No!"

It is rather hilarious, but I'm also wondering why Audrey decided to lurch into the "terrible two's" at 17 months old. She acts so grown up some days. Answering me with words (even if it is no!) or signs, folding her arms when she doesn't get her way, and putting her hands on her hips when copping an attitude. Gee, thanks Aunt Becky for teaching Auds that trick!!

Audrey's use of the word "no" also came packaged with other behavior such as hitting (me or the dogs) or just outright whining and faux-crying if Audrey doesn't get her way. Audrey always gets a first warning, but she's all about testing the limits these days so for her second offense she has a time-out on the first step of our stairway. I take her over to the step, sit her down, explain to her what she did wrong, tell her to sit there and I will come back and get her when the time is up. Afterwards we huge and kiss and Audrey is happy and ready to go play again. Thanks Supernanny! I can't tell you how wonderful time-outs are working for us right now. Even the mention of a time-out at the first warning has Audrey's saying, "Noooo, Mama!" and gets her attitude back in check. What a wonderful parenting tool!

Here's Audrey sitting on her time-out step. It's now a favorite spot to sit and play even when she's not in trouble!

3 comments:

Courtney said...

It's amazing how quickly they get into those terrible 2's. It's just a phase I'm sure...she is still so stinkin cute!

Kami/The Elegant Elle said...

Aw! She may be a stinker right now, but she still looks pretty darn tootin' cute! :-)

Ang said...

Audrey is just too cute to be naughty! I don't believe it. I don't, I don't, I don't.